Did you know
The Bangs Hallet House on Historic Route 6A is a crown jewel of the Historical Society of Old Yarmouth, which collects objects and items of all types that pertain to Yarmouth’s history. The Society maintains three separate collections: museum collection, library and archives, and photographs.
Today, this sea captain’s home, regularly open to visitors, provides an intimate glance into 19th century family life. The parlors are arranged as if the captain was just returning from his voyage to China, likely 16 to 18 months duration. His gifts of silk fabric, toys, porcelain, lacquered pieces and tea are on display as well as costumes from the period. Knowledgeable docents lead guided tours of the museum and relate lively stories of Yarmouth captains’ hair-raising adventures at sea. New this year is a gentleman’s study and a refurbished dining room. In the basement of the original house, a special exhibit of an 18th century kitchen features an extensive collection of early lighting fixtures.
Prominent in the Maritime Room hangs a large oil painting of the clipper ship The Red Jacket by artist Axel William Torgerson. The Red Jacket’s first commander was a Yarmouth captain, Asa Eldridge. In this room one will see artifacts, other marine paintings, ship models and antique navigational equipment.
The Captain Bangs Hallet House was built by a member of the Thacher family around the year 1840. Incorporating an older structure to the rear, the house has an unusual floor plan and a unique cellar kitchen. After the Thacher family, the house was occupied by the family of Captain Allen Hinckley Knowles, one of Yarmouth's better known clipper ship captains and skipper of the famous Donald McKay ship Chariot of Fame. In 1863, Knowles swapped homes with Captain Bangs Hallet who had recently retired from a long and illustrious career at sea. Bangs and Anna Hallet occupied their retirement home until their deaths in the late 19th century.
Hours and admission
The house is open on Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday, June 15 through October 15, with tours at 1, 2 & 3 p.m.
$5.00 for adults. FREE to all HSOY members, Yarmouth residents and children.
The museum collection consists of objects, domestic furnishings, artwork, costumes, textiles, maritime-related artifacts, and other items. Highlights of the collection are kitchen-related items from the 18th and 19th centuries; 19th century clothing; 19th century children’s toys; Native American stone artifacts from Cape Cod; and maritime artifacts and artwork. A portion of the museum’s collection is on display within the context of the Captain Bangs Hallet House Museum, while the remainder is stored and utilized as needed for special exhibitions and displays.
Each year, HSOY sponsors a special theme tour and exhibition within the Captain Bangs Hallet House drawing from our own collections, as well as the collections of private individuals and neighboring institutions.
In addition to the Bangs Hallet House, you can enjoy a wonderful nature trails open year round on our property. Make sure to view the historic Gorham Cobbler Shop and the Kelly Chapel as well.