Osterville Historical Society
Brothers Daniel and Jesse Crosby, Jr., came to Osterville from Centerville in 1798 and leased sixteen rods of land on the shore of North Bay with the right to build a shop and dock. For this lease of sixty years they paid James Parker nine dollars.
North Bay, at the foot of Bay Street, is quite deep and there is a channel running through North Bay and Cotuit Bay, and then out to the Sound. There would be no West Bay Cut in Osterville for another ninety years.
The Crosby brothers must have built a number of vessels here, but we have a record of only one, the “Warrior.” The “Warrior” was a two-masted topsail schooner built in 1804 and lost on Block Island‘s north reef in 1834 during a violent storm. The “Warrior” was a “packet” running between Boston and New York on a more or less regular schedule as packets did, depending on the weather, etc.
– The Hinckley Shipyard –
Oliver Hinckley, born in 1792, was an apprentice to the Crosby brothers. He took over the shipyard at the foot of Bay Street, probably in 1816-1818.
Following the Crosby brothers, he continued to build coasting vessels in this yard until 1857. His last vessel, the “Leanara,” was reported lost in the early 1900s. This vessel was a packet between Boston and Hartford, Connecticut. Hinckley built at least 23 vessels. There was one sloop, the “Echo,” for which the Osterville Historical Museum has a rare hawk’s nest model, nineteen schooners, and three brigs. His schooner, “Page,” built in 1831, sailed down the coast of South America, around Cape Horn, and up to San Francisco where it worked as a lumber schooner into the early 1900s. He also built the “Spy,” a three-masted schooner, for Capt. Jonathan Parker whose house the Museum now occupies.
– East Bay –
A small number of coasting vessels were built by Seth Goodspeed in East Bay. His home is still standing and is located on the west side of East Bay, directly opposite the Town Landing. He built one of his vessels in his yard and then moved it to the bay. That was considered a remarkable feat at the time.
– The Smaller Boat Industry –
By 1850, the need for coasting vessels declined. The last vessel built in the Hinckley yard was constructed in 1857. The yard, however, continued operating with marine work until the late 1860s.
The descendents of Daniel and Jesse Crosby, Jr., built boat shops in several places around the bay. In 1850 the first Crosby Cat Boat was built, and its utilitarian design was quickly recognized. Since then the Crosby family built over 3,000 wooden cat boats.
As a matter of interest, after WW II the Crosby family at Crosby Yacht Building & Storage built 230 wooden boats of various designs before the business was sold in the late 1970s.
Wianno Senior “Venture”
To achieve this, they are built around a frame or “mold” that is used over and over in building each hull.
This differs from the method used in building cat boats, principally because the ribs or “timbers,” when they are steamed and flexible, are bent up, around, and clamped to the outside of the mold.
The first Seniors were built in 1914 and a few built that year are still racing today, one hundred years later. H. Manley Crosby, working with his brother, Wilton, and his cousin, Ralph, a marine architect, designed the Senior and is the “father” of the Seniors.
Wianno Junior “Whallop”
By 1941, 67 boats had been built and 46 of them were racing in Osterville.
A few more were built after World War II, including our boat, “Whallop,” #77. She is probably the last, built in 1961 and sailed from Hyannisport.
Lapstrake Dinghy “Sonata”
It is a rowing boat which might be carried aboard a larger boat for ship-to-shore transportation. Such a boat could be called a “tender.”
It is of “lapstrake” construction. The name derives from the overlapping of the planking similar to a clapboard house.
The “Cayuga” is a typical Crosby Cat Boat. It has a massive centerboard, a tiller, a square stern and a “barn door” rudder.
This sturdy boat was built for recreation and is unique in that it has a deck of painted teak.
Almost all Crosby boats have decks of painted canvas which is easy to maintain and provides good footing when wet.
The Crosby Curlew is a twenty-three foot sloop for day sailing and overnight cruising.
She was designed by Dan Knott, a well-known local marine surveyor and designer.
Six boats were built in the 1960s by the Chester A. Crosby and Sons Boat Yard.
Beetle Cat “Mistake”
The Beetle Cat had been used until recently for the children in the Wianno Yacht Club Youth Sailing Program and was a mainstay there for many years. The Beetle Class is ninety years old and was designed in 1920, sailing in 1921.
The design and production started with the Beetle Family Yard in New Bedford. The Beetles were famous for building outstanding “Whaleboats” that supplied the New Bedford Whaling fleet for many years. When whaling began to die, the Beetles decided to build boats for pleasure; the catboat.
Wherry “Li’l Jen”
It is a European type that goes back to the 17th century. Pete Culler, a well-known Cape Cod builder who worked for Concordia Yacht Builders in the Padanarum village of South Dartmouth, Massachusetts, designed this boat.
Eddie Crosby, of the Chester A. Crosby and Sons Boat Yard in Osterville, built the “Li’l Jen” in 1969 for his family.
Catboat “Lazy Jack”
It is a classic example of a large square-stern cat boat with a “barn door” rudder and a cabin.
This venerable boat was donated by Chester (Bookie) Crosby about 1985.
Unfortunately, it is in poor repair, but it has the lines which demonstrate the sturdiness, the seaworthiness, and the practical usefulness which have made Crosby Cat Boats widely known and respected for over one hundred-and-fifty-four years.