The Cape Cod National Seashore, a member of the Museum Trail, shares eight historic structures worthy of a tour from Eastham to Provincetown.
The Pennimen House, Eastham


The Penniman House in Eastham, completed in 1868, was styled after the French Second-Empire period. It included every known comfort of the day and many innovative ideas. The Captain Edward Penniman family enjoyed this fine home for nearly a century.

Directions: Take Route 6 approximately 1 mile north of the Orleans Rotary, at Fort Hill. Seasonal tours and open houses. Limited Parking.

Read more. Click here.

The Three Sisters Lighthouses, Eastham


In 838, three brick towers were built in a row 150 feet apart on the cliffs of what is now the Nauset Light Beach area. Known as the Three sisters, the original brick towers fell victim to erosion in 1892 and were replaced with three movable wooden towers that are now arranged in their original configuration off Cable Road.

Directions: Located one-quarter mile west of Nauset Light on Cable Road. Seasonal tours and open houses.

Read more. Click here.

Pamet Cranberry Bog House, Truro

Bog House

Originally constructed around 1830, the Bog House is located among former cranberry bogs in the Pamet Valley. It supported cranberry harvesting that occurred there until the 1960s.  Views of the house can be seen from atop Bearberry Hill.

Directions: Follow North Pamet Road in Truro, off Route 6, to its end. Limited parking.

Read more. Click here.

Highland Light, Truro

Cape Cod lighthouse at the Highlands.

Highland Light, the first lighthouse on Cape Cod, was erected in 1797. Also known as Cape Cod Light, it has warned seafarers for more than 200 years. Operated by Eastern National, mid- May through mid-October.

Directions: take the Cape Cod Light exit, Route 6, onto Highland Road, and follow signs.

For information on tours, click here.

Nauset Light, Eastham


Nauset Light, moved in 1996, remains a navigational aid. Nauset Light Preservation Society volunteers conduct tours Sunday afternoons form early May through October, as well as additional Wednesday afternoons in July and August. Donations accepted.

Directions: Take Route 6 to the traffic light at Salt Pond Visitor Center at Nauset Road. Turn onto Nauset Road and follow signs to Coast Guard and Nauset Light Beaches. Park at Nauset Light Beach. Beach fee may apply.

What a video. Click here.

For a tour schedule, click here. 

Atwood-Higgins House, Wellfleet

atwood higgins

The Atwood-Higgins House is a fine example of a properly framed Cape Cod cottage, which grew from a half-house in the early 1700s to a full Cape with eight rooms by the 19th century. The oldest house owned by the National Seashore, it is flanked by an eclectic collection of later vintage buildings.

Directions: Take Route 6. Turn onto Pamet Point Road in Wellfleet at the Truro town line. Take Pamet Point Road and follow signs to Atwood-Higgins. Seasonal tours. Limited parking.

Learn more, click here.

Highland House, Truro


The Highland House Museum occupies the Highland House, originally a hotel built in 1907. A visit provides insight into the people of Truro dating back to early European settlers and the Native Americans who preceded them. Open June 1 through September, Monday to Saturday.

Directions: Take the Cape Cod Light exit, Route 6, onto Highland Road, and follow signs.

For more information, click here.

Old Harbor Life-Saving Staiton, Provincetown

Old Harbor

At Old Harbor, the National Park Service interprets the dramatic story of shipwrecks and the role of the U.S. Life-Saving Service, precursor to the Coast Guard, in preventing shipwrecks and performing rescues. During the summer, re-enactments of the historical breeches-buoy drill are performed weekly. Seasonal open houses.

Directions: Take Route 6 to Race Point Road in Provincetown. Park at Race Point Beach. Beach fees may apply.

Learn more. Click here.